Here are some of the most common toxins to avoid when picking up a product:
1. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – Can interact with other chemicals and form carcinogens which can lead to further damage. Be sure to choose SLS free products!
2. Propylene Glycol – This is an alcohol famous for bothering your skin, causing hives sometimes. Also in foods too.
3. Formaldehyde – Candles, nail polishes, body washes, hair products can contain this. It may cause skin irritation, hurt your immune system. This toxin is disguised as Diazolidinyl urea, 3-diol Imidazolidinyl urea, DMDM Hydantoin, Quaternium-15, Nitorpropane-1, Formalin, Methanal, Methyl Aldehyde, and Methylene Oxide.
4. Parabens – A lot of cosmetic products contain this and it has shown up in breast tumors! Also, it can be named methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and ethylparaben.
5. Fragrance – This is used as a cover up word to make ingredients not sound so scary but this can affect your immune system, cause allergic reactions and bother your respiratory system.
6. Phthalates – Usually this is found in nail polish, perfumes, hairsprays and lotions. They actually affect your hormones and endocrine system. They have caused reproduction defects too. They can be named DBP and DMP or fragrance also.
7. Benzophenone, PABA, avobernzone, homosalate, ethoxycinnmate – With summer months, please watch out for these sneaky toxins in sunscreen! They are known to be carcinogenic and cause cell damage.